[ gpsdrive ] Map formats

Ryan J. Earley ryan.j.earley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 10:42:22 AKDT 2007

On 9/11/07, Bernhard D Rohrer <graylion at sm-wg.net> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I am new to this list and am looking at using this program for
> navigating a boat. My main question si whether pre-calibrated maps are
> beign supported like for instance BSB.
>
> cheers
>
> Bernhad

Georeferenced maps are not _directly_ supported, but can easily be
imported through a utility like Hamish Bowman's gdal_slice.sh,
available at the bottom of this page:
http://hamish.bowman.googlepages.com/gpsdrivefiles

This should take any georeferenced format that the gdal tools can
understand (list: http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html) and convert
them to tiles that gpsdrive can use.

I have used a similar method to import BSB's from NOAA before with
success.  I seem to remember going to going BSB--> GTiff -->gpsdrive,
(perhaps because of needing to reproject the maps)...but this may now
be possible in one step.

Best of luck,
-Ryan

--