[ gpsdrive ] Mapnik , kismet

Joerg Ostertag (gpsdrive Munich/Germany) gpsdrive at ostertag.name
Fri Sep 14 01:13:39 AKDT 2007

On Donnerstag 13 September 2007, Andreas Putzo wrote:

> It seems that the mapnik osm.xml file in the user's home dir gets
> overwritten every time gpsdrive starts.

Yes, currently this is on purpose.

> I use 'localhost' instead /var/run/postgresql. That's why i noticed this :)
(homedir.diff)

I personally think that using the Unix Domain socket should be a little safer
than using localhost. That's the reason we used this method. Does your
postgis installation only listen on localhost or does it listen on the socket
too?

> Btw, do you know a way to keep these settings somehow separated?

Not that I know yet. But it would be great, if we could separate the setting
of how to connect to the database from the rendering style stuff.

> I had a quick glance at tinyXML (which is used by mapnik) but as far
> as i can tell it doesn't support include files.

If you find any way to change/improve this I'd be happy.

> YMMV, but i think, the mapnik data should be installed to
> /usr/local/share/gpsdrive/mapnik/ and not share/mapnik/ to avoid
> interfering with other installations. (mapnikdir.diff)

Well the mapnik stuff should be the same for Gpsdrive , generate-types.py,
tilescache ....
At least at the moment. So I thought it would make sense to install it to one
central mapnik directory.

> Does the kismet bug still exists?

I fixed some of the kismet stuff. But someone who is using kismet more than I
do should really test it. I Only had one Accesspoint here. This one
Accesspoint was displayed. But I havn't tried driving around or other stuff.
So please test this!!!

-

Joerg