[ gpsdrive ] gpsfetchmap

Andreas Putzo andreas at putzo.net
Tue Sep 25 10:27:42 AKDT 2007

Hi,

i noticed that the header of gpsfetchmap.pl changed from the last
release. It now states:

| #!/usr/bin/perl
| # gpsfetchmap
| #
| # You are allowed to modify the source code in any way you want
| # except you cannot modify this copyright details
| # or remove the polite feature.
| #
| # NO WARRANTY.

This looks to me like some kind of a license statement. Beside that it
is quite incomplete (is redistribution granted?) it unfortunately has
a clause in it i would consider not to be free.
Not changing the copright should be fine but why is it not allowed to
remove the polite feature?
IMHO this restriction does not make sense anyway because i can easily
use the command line switch --polite=0 if i choose to be impolite (not
that i ever would :).
I don't know when exactly this has been introduced but maybe it can be
changed back? Why not put this script under the GPL like the rest of
gpsdrive?

Cheers,
Andreas