[ gpsdrive ] Comparisons

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Apr 25 04:55:03 AKDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:46:49AM +0200, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> >> Anyone willing to effort a comparison of GPSdrive and roadnav?  I'm
> >> interested in seeing each project's strengths and weaknesses.
> >
> > I use both, and that's what I recommend. They both play nicely with a
> > recent gpsd. They are different enough that they compliment each other
> > well.
>
> What does roadnav do?

I assume you can google on "roadnav", so I won't repeat the
obvious.

* It depends on U.S. government data, so it's useful only in the
  U.S. It will continue to run when you drive into Canada; it just
  shows Alberta as a vast white space.

* It's main advantage is that it provides routing, which gpsdrive does
  not. But it is only as good as the data (which was never intended
  for routing), so the routing is dicey.

* You can tilt the view, to get a bird's eye view from "above" the
  current position, which is cute.