[ gpsdrive ] Waypoints API with GPSDrive

Thomas Winkler thomas at seabed.no
Mon May 5 00:50:51 AKDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 20:29 +0200, Guenther Meyer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 01 Mai 2008 schrieb markofallon at aim.com:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I'm investigating the possiblity of using GPSDrive as a component in a
> > college end of term project. The project requires that there can be a
> > variety of multimedia data (text, images, animation/video, sound)
> > associated with each waypoint / POI on the map which is activated by
> > proximity to the waypoint/POI (or could be clicked on) and can be viewed
> > by an appropriate MIME viewer (i.e. a web browser with the appropriate
> > plug-ins).
> >
> > Does GPSDrive have an API that will allow a request to be sent to a
> > server process to establish the waypoint/POI in question against a
> > database and, having done that, serve the user with a menu via of data
> > items which can be handled via the installed browser? I suppose more
> > generally, is there a way to use GPSDrive with host application that can
> > act as a bridge to provide other appropriate services? And if this could
> > be accomplished on a PDA that would be fantastic!
> >
> no there is no such thing as an api for that in gpsdrive.
> and there are no plans to do this in the near future.
>
> the only thing you could do, is access the database gpsdrive stores its
> waypoints from your application.

Hello!

I am new to the list, monitoring it some days now.

Guenther Meyer is right! But i needed a similar feature so I made a
small patch to recognize clicks on a POI label and a certain area around
it. So it is up to you to do what ever you want in that case.

See the attached patch

in file: import_map.c and function mapclick_cb

The patch changes also the font size of the POI label. It was needed in
my application. So adjust it as needed.

This solution has one limitation! It goes with the biggest label on
screen. Means if you have "gasstation" and "pub" the click-able box
around pub would be as big as the one around gasstation.

Hope it helps
 Thomas