[ gpsdrive ] gpsdrive and NOAA charts

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 17:40:51 AKDT 2008

Chris H wrote:
> Going back to basics, converting NOAA rasters to tiff I
> used your script referenced here:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.linux.gps/3920/focus=3937
>
> The results are interesting when run on testfile
> 14500_1.KAP
> =========================
> chris123 at kubuntu8:~$ gdalwarp -t_srs "EPSG:4326"
> -order
> 2 -rn -co 'COMPRESS=DEFLATE'
> /home/chris123/Desktop/NOAA_ENC\'s/14500_1.KAP
> noaa_14500_1.tif
> Copying color table from
> /home/chris123/Desktop/NOAA_ENC's/14500_1.KAP to new
> file.
> *** glibc detected *** gdalwarp: double free or corruption
> (out): 0x08085ce0
> ***
> This is the same problem I have run into now for the past
> few times I tried this script regardless of updates. Any
> clues as to what is wrong?

yeah, it turns out that gdalwarp doesn't like to compress on the fly.
As far as I understand it works chunk by chunk, and doesn't consider the case where the size of the chuck changes after compression, and so boundaries between chunks get blurred and once a chuck steps out of
bounds of the original you get the segfault.

solution: remove the "-co 'COMPRESS=DEFLATE'" from the gdalwarp line.

Frank wrote:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/864
> Currently the GDAL/libtiff support for inplace update of compressed
> TIFF files is not working and you should not use it.  You will need
> to gdalwarp to an uncompressed file, and then gdal_translate that to
> a compressed file.

Hamish