[ gpsdrive ] Upgrading Hardy Heron

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon May 12 18:35:47 AKDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 01:34:11PM +0200, Andreas Putzo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On May 11  15:26, Charles Curley wrote:
> > I just upgraded my laptop and desktop from Ubuntu 7.10 (and the
> > versions of gpsdrive that came with that), and to 8.04. I found that
> > gpsdrive was also upgraded in the process, to
> > gpsdrive-2.10~pre4-1--i386.
> >
> > The major problem is that I don't see my waypoints. The database and
> > table are still there, but gpsdrive doesn't see them. They are in the
> > old schema, and no update was done on that as part of the upgrade.
> >
> > In /usr/share/doc/gpsdrive several files of dubious usefulness
> > reside. One, README.SQL.gz, says:
> >
> >     If you already have the database and you update GpsDrive, make
> >     sure your table structure is updated with the above geoinfo.pl
> >     script.
> >
> > There is no geoinfo.pl script. How do I get that? Or is that still the
> > preferred way to update my waypoints?
>
> The geoinfo script is in the gpsdrive-scripts package. For details on
> upgrading the database schema and importing old waypoints see
> /usr/share/doc/gpsdrive/README.Debian.

Found it, thanks.

Oddly enough the scripts package wasn't installed on my laptop but was
on the desktop during the upgrade.

I followed the directions, and got this:

ccurley at dragon:~/.gpsdrive$ poi-manager -i -f way_converted_sql.gpx

----- Getting file info -----

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 347, column 43, byte 7510 at /usr/lib/perl5/XML/Parser.pm line 187
 at /usr/bin/poi-manager line 204
 at /usr/bin/poi-manager line 204
ccurley at dragon:~/.gpsdrive$

I went to the line and column in the source file, and found a naked
ampersand ("&"). I replaced all of those with the ampersand entity
("&"). That appears to have worked:

ccurley at dragon:~/.gpsdrive$ poi-manager -i -f way_converted_sql.gpx