[ gpsdrive ] Garmin usb18(oem) .. is it alive?

info at 4x4falcon.com info at 4x4falcon.com
Fri May 23 16:23:24 AKDT 2008

Most of what you are trying relies on gpsd running.

So spend your time getting it working and then try the other programs.

Given that your gps is being recognised and connected as /dev/ttyUSB0

>From a command line enter:

sudo gpsd -N -D 6 /dev/ttyUSB0

This will keep gpsd in the foreground (ie not run as a daemon) and display
lots of debug information.  CTRL-C will cancel this.

Assuming that the above recognises your gps try:

sudo gpsd /dev/ttyUSB0

this will start gpsd as a daemon and then you can try using gpspipe to see
if you are getting information.

gpspipe -r

Will display the raw NMEA sentences.

This will show whether or not your gps is putting NMEA sentences out to
the usb connection.  Also most gps's do not work inside buildings so I'm
assuming you have the gps outside with a clear line of site to the sky.

You then will need to setup gpsd to auto start on connection of your gps
and/or when the computer boots.  Check http://gpsd.berlios.de/ for more
info on this.

Regards
Ross