[ gpsdrive ] xgps shows position, but gpsdrive says "no GPS"

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun May 23 12:46:00 AKDT 2010

Tobias wrote:
> I'm having problems with gpsdrive.  I believe I've managed to set up
> gpsd correctly, because xgps shows me the correct position.
>
> I've been using strace to monitor the traffic between xgps and gpsd.
> xdrive sends a capital R to gpsd, gpsd replies with a version number,
> a bit later the connection is closed and this is repeated until I
> close gpsdrive:
> read(7, "{\"class\":\"VERSION\",\"release\":\"2."..., 2000)
> = 82
> close(7)
> I'm running ubuntu 10.04 and I installed gpsdrive and gpsd
> through this command:
>
> sudo apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients

Lucid shipped with gpsdrive 2.10pre4, which is really really out of date.

For one thing gpsd (2.92) in this version changed their API so all
apps relying on it had to change too. That's been fixed in SVN but we
haven't issued a new release supporting it.

I've now backported gpsd 2.92 support to the 2.11 branch in SVN and
tested building it on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid). You have to change the
Old/new gpsd setting in DefineOptions.cmake file and recompile. If
you are not the recompiling type let me know and I can post my .debs
somewhere.

a build script for Lucid is here:
 https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/install_gpsdrive.sh

(both script and resulting package not very well tested yet, but seem to
work; I'd like confirmation that Mapnik is working)

The newer version of gpsdrive is so much better.... I really hope we will
get 2.11 into Debian Squeeze before the upcoming freeze instead of shipping
2.10pre4 as a non-GPS map viewer and giving users the wrong impression!

regards,
Hamish